• Menu
  • Menu

How to Apply for a TIMS and ACAP Permit Nepal

Trekking in Nepal? Don’t have a guide? You’ll have to get some permits! The easiest way to do this is to go to an office in Kathmandu or Pokhara! Here’s what you’ll need and how to get the permits.

So, you’re going trekking in Nepal… lucky you!

While it seems like there’s quite a bit to do prior to the start of your trek, the permits are easily sorted within a day.

What Permits Do I Need?

TIMS Card Nepal

First things first. If you’re doing any trek beside the Three Passes or Everest Base Camp trek, you’ll need a TIMS card. The TIMS card is a trekking registration, basically, so they know who is on the trails at all times. It’s a safety measure.

If you want more information about what the TIMS card is and the fees, here’s a link to the official website (though more on that below!).

ACAP Nepal Permit (Annapurna Conservation Area Permit)

The ACAP permit is a national park permit for the Annapurna Conservation Area. If you’re trekking in Sagarmatha National Park (the Everest treks), you’ll need a different national park permit, which you buy on the trail (it’s very straight-forward). You’ll need this one for Annapurna Base Camp and the Annapurna Circuit. You’ll also need it for Poon Hill.

What You Need to Apply

To apply for a TIMS card, you’ll need to bring both your passport and two passport photos. You can get these anywhere in Thamel/Lakeside for a couple hundred rupees.

The fee for the TIMS card is the equivalent of $20 USD in Nepali Rupees.

The fee for the ACAP permit is 3,000 rupees. You’ll also need 2 passport photos and your passport.

You’ll also need to know your insurance number and coverage information, the rough dates you’ll be on the trail, and your itinerary. It’s okay for your itinerary to change a little bit, but you need to know where you think you’ll be stopping.

Applying for an ACAP and TIMS Permit Kathmandu

Apply for all trekking permits at the Nepal Tourism Board, located on Pradarshani Marg. This is about a 20-minute walk from the heart of Thamel. Their hours are 10am-5pm daily.

There will be a couple desks in the office. One will be for the TIMS card, and there will be others for the various conservation areas.

Applying for a TIMS and ACAP Permit Pokhara

You apply for your trekking permits and TIMS card at the National Tourism Board. This is about a fifteen-minute walk from the middle of Lakeside. You walk right along Phewa Tal (the lake) to get to the tourism board. They’re open from 10-4 daily. This will be useful if you’re doing the Annapurna Circuit or Annapurna Base Camp.

Pretty easy, right? Tour agencies will charge you more than $20 USD for the TIMS and 2000 rupees for the ACAP, but they do save time if you’re in a crunch.

Like this post? Pin it!

Trekking in Nepal and gotta get your permits? I've got you covered! You don't have to go through an agency to do this, you can do it all on your own, from either Kathmandu or Pokhara | How to Independently Apply for Trekking Permits in Nepal | travel tips | #travel |

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *